mardi 25 avril 2023

Saga (in English)

I've been playing Saga again, still on CPC, for the last few days. I'd forgotten just about everything about the game, except that I'd liked it and that its scenery had left an impression on me as a child, because although it was set in a medieval world, it reminded me of my own real world, my immediate environment.

The image above reminded me, as a child, of the Vosges, where my parents used to take us on vacation. In passing, I realize that these black drawings on a green background also remind me of some very old regionalist magazines, full of old folk engravings, which intrigued and even fascinated me as a teenager (that's how much of a nerd I've been for a long time) and which were, precisely, usually printed on cheap, greenish paper.

There's nothing so "medieval" about these views of an old village. A decrepit cemetery wall, a dirt road, houses in the distance. The game could just as easily be set in a backward village in 2019.

This anachronism, which isn't really an anachronism at all, also contributes to the impression, while playing, of not being in any specific era, nor even in any specific universe – neither real world, nor imaginary fantasy world – but in a kind of eternity that is that of memory, of culture, where everything is superimposed.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire